Come increase your digital savvy at NewsTrain in Halifax, Nova Scotia; stay for the sights
Monday, February 22, 2016
Posted by: Laura Sellers-Earl
The NewsTrain workshop in beautiful Halifax, Nova Scotia, on May 6-7 is open for registration. For just $75, get two full days of digital training, including meals, in the scenic Canadian Maritimes. Sessions include:
- maximizing your social media for personal branding and audience engagement,
- using social media for sourcing, including verifying user-generated content,
- making smart choices in digital storytelling,
- planning for breaking news on multiple platforms,
- writing for mobile,
- using audience analytics to get your stories read, and
- shooting compelling news video and photos with your smartphone.
Kathy Kieliszewski, visuals director for the Detroit Free Press and four-time Emmy Award winner, will teach the video and photo sessions. Additional instructors will be named soon.
Competitive diversity scholarships that cover the $75 registration fee are available for journalists, journalism educators and journalism students from diverse backgrounds. The scholarships are funded by the APME Foundation.
Discounted hotel rooms will also be available.
The workshop precedes the Atlantic Journalism Awards Gala at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel at 5:30 p.m. May 7.
More info and register at http://bit.ly/HalifaxNewsTrain.
Other upcoming NewsTrains are:
· Lincoln, Nebraska, on April 9, and
· Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on Sept. 30-Oct. 1.
Apply by Oct. 1 to bring NewsTrain to your community in 2017.
Questions? Email Project Director Linda Austin.