Print Page | Contact Us | Your Cart | Sign In | Register
In Memoriam
Share |

IN MEMORIAM • Feb. 21, 2018

Former AP photographer Max Desfor dies at 104

Former Associated Press photographer Max Desfor, whose photo of hundreds of Korean War refugees crawling across a damaged bridge in 1950 helped win him a Pulitzer Prize, died Feb. 18. He was 104. Desfor died at his apartment in Silver Spring, Maryland, where he'd been living in his retirement, said his son, Barry. Desfor volunteered to cover the Korean War for the news service when the North invaded the South in June 1950. He parachuted into North Korea with U.S troops and retreated with them after forces from the North, joined by the Chinese, pushed south. He was in a Jeep near the North Korean capital of Pyongyang when he spotted a bridge that had been hit by bombing along the Taedong River. Thousands of refugees were lined up on the north bank waiting their turn to cross the river. "We came across this incredible sight," he recalled in 1997 for an AP oral history. "All of these people who are literally crawling through these broken-down girders of the bridge. They were in and out of it, on top, underneath, and just barely escaping the freezing water." Desfor climbed a 50-foot-high section of the bridge to photograph the refugees as they fled for their lives.

Read more:

Former Ebony editor author Lerone Bennett Jr. dies at 89

Lerone Bennett Jr., an African-American history author and former editor of Ebony magazine, has died at age 89. A.A. Rayner and Sons Funeral Home in Chicago said Thursday, Feb. 15, that Bennett died Feb. 14. Ebony magazine tells the Chicago Sun-Times that Bennett had vascular dementia. The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Thursday called Bennett an "activist historian" and said "a global force for justice he was, a mighty pen he had." Bennett grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, and worked on his high school newspaper and edited the student newspaper at Morehouse College, where he went to school with Martin Luther King Jr. Bennett went on to work at the Atlanta Daily World before joining Jet and then Ebony. He worked at Ebony for about 50 years. "He was the guiding light for the editorial vision of Ebony," Ebony CEO Linda Johnson Rice said Wednesday. "Lerone was not just essential in the formation of Ebony's historic trajectory, he was a pillar in the black community."

Read more:

Longtime Boston television anchor Jack Hynes dies at 88

Jack Hynes, a longtime television news reporter and anchor in Boston and the son of a Boston mayor, has died. He was 88. Hynes died of heart failure at a Hingham retirement community on Feb. 13, according to a statement from his family. "He was an avid and passionate journalist to the end. We are incredibly proud of our Dad, the quintessential Boston newsman, for all he accomplished during his professional career," the family said. Known as the dean of Boston television news, Hynes eschewed the glamour and fame of the job and was known for his no-nonsense "tell-it-like-it-is" style and for setting the standard for accuracy and credibility.

He also preferred substance over style, rejecting newscast humor and banter, and once even turning down an award as the nation's most telegenic anchormen.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Feb. 7, 2018

Nicholas von Hoffman dies at 88

When reporter Nicholas von Hoffman joined The Washington Post in 1966, he brought with him a flair for controversy that eventually triggered a resignation threat from a top editor, a boycott from advertisers and, according to Post historian Chalmers M. Roberts, “produced more angry letters to the editor than the work of any other single reporter in the paper’s history.”

The son of a professional explorer who once walked from Cape Town, South Africa, to Cairo, Mr. von Hoffman had worked for community organizer Saul Alinsky in Chicago before reporting on the civil rights movement in the South while sporting an elegant suit and a prematurely white shock of hair.

Mr. von Hoffman was 88 when he died Feb. 1 at a hospital in Rockport, Maine.

Read more:

Indiana, New York editor Roger L. Mosher dies at 67

Roger L. Mosher, who worked for 20 years at The Journal Gazette in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and edited other newspapers in Indiana and New York, died at the Wyoming County Community Nursing Facility in Warsaw, New York. He was 67.

Mosher, a Fort Wayne native, started his journalism career at the Huntington Herald-Press, then served in several roles at The Journal Gazette, including leading its newsdesk in the late 1980s.

He became editor of the Shelbyville News in 1990, and was named editor and publisher of the Batavia Daily News in 1993, where he served for nine years.

Read more:

William Whitney, retired newspaper city editor, dead at 84

William "Bill" Whitney, a former city editor and award-winning columnist for The Republican Co., died on Sunday, Feb. 4. He was 84.

Whitney died at Mercy Medical Center in Springfield, Mass., after a brief illness.

"Bill Whitney was one of the most dedicated editors I ever met," said Wayne Phaeuf, executive editor of The Republican. "He was dogged about the finding the truth."

He worked for The Republican's predecessors, The Morning Union and Union-News.

Upon his retirement from the city desk in 2002, he penned the column Just Browsing for the next 10 years.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Feb. 1, 2018

Investigative journalist Robert Parry dies at 68

Robert Parry, a longtime investigative journalist who was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 1985 for his Associated Press exclusives about the CIA's production of an assassination manual for Nicaraguan rebels, has died. He was 68.

Parry died in hospice care in Virginia after a series of strokes brought on by undiagnosed pancreatic cancer, said his wife, Diane Duston.

Parry joined the AP in 1974 and went on to work in the Washington bureau, where he covered the Iran-Contra scandal as it rocked the Reagan administration. His work on the scandal also brought a George Polk Award in 1984.

After leaving the AP in 1987, Parry worked for Newsweek until 1990 and then became an investigative reporter for the PBS series "Frontline."

In 1995, frustrated with what he saw as dwindling venues for serious investigative reporting, Parry founded the Consortium for Independent Journalism.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Jan. 24, 2018

Weather Channel co-founder John Coleman dies at 83

John Coleman, the “Good Morning America” forecasting icon who co-founded The Weather Channel, has died.

The 83-year-old Coleman, in his later years, may have become best known for championing skepticism about the human role in climate change.

Considered a pioneer in weathercasting, Coleman enjoyed a 60-year career in television. He worked at stations in Peoria, Omaha, Milwaukee and Chicago from the 1950s to early 1970s. He was seen as an innovator, the first to broadcast his entire weathercast in front of a green screen.

In the 1970s, Coleman became the first weathercaster on ABC’s morning news program.

Coleman started the Weather Channel in 1981, serving as its president and chief executive. He co-founded the network with Joseph D’Aleo, its first director of meteorology, and media entrepreneur Frank Batten Sr.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Jan. 18, 2018

Longtime Associated Press executive James Donna dies at 71

James M. Donna, who over three decades served in an array of news and management posts with The Associated Press, died after an illness of several weeks. He was 71.

Donna’s wife, Pat Lukaszewska, said the cause of death was kidney and liver failure.

Donna joined the AP at its Philadelphia bureau in 1973 after stints with Look magazine and the Reading Eagle newspaper in Pennsylvania.

He subsequently served in several posts at AP's global headquarters in New York, including enterprise editor and New York City bureau chief.

He left the AP briefly in the early 1980s to work for Gamma Liaison news photo agency, then returned to serve in a diverse series of management jobs, including assistant to the president, vice president and secretary of the board of directors, director of human resources, and senior vice president of international business. He retired from the AP in 2006.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Jan. 10, 2018

Janet Elder, a top editor at the New York Times, dies at 61

Janet Elder, who in a three-decade career at The New York Times rose from reporter to deputy managing editor, along the way spending many years as the editor of news surveys and election analysis, has died. She was 61.

Dean Baquet, the paper's executive editor, announced the death to the staff. Elder had been undergoing treatment for cancer. She lived in Manhattan.

Elder became one of the highest-ranking women in the Times newsroom, in charge of the administrative side of the news operation. But colleagues cited an unofficial role as well, as chief counselor, hand-holder, fixer and sympathetic ear to the rest of the staff.

Read more:

Journalist Simeon Booker, chronicler of civil rights, dies

Simeon Booker, the Washington bureau chief of Jet and Ebony magazines for five decades, died Dec. 10 at an assisted-living community in Solomons, Maryland. He was 99 and had recently been hospitalized for pneumonia, said his wife, Carol Booker.

Few reporters risked more to chronicle the civil rights movement than Mr. Booker. He was the first full-time black reporter for The Washington Post, serving on the newspaper’s staff for two years before joining Johnson Publishing Co. to write for Jet, a weekly, and Ebony, a monthly modeled on Life magazine, in 1954. He helped bring the story of the killing of Emmett Till to the public.

Read more:

Former Illinois publisher Charles Deitz passes

The former publisher of the Mt. Vernon (Illinois) Register-News and Times-Leader, Charles "Chick" Deitz, has died.

Deitz worked at the Register-News and Times-Leader for more than 50 years. He started his career in newspapers as a teenager, working after school and on Saturdays at his hometown newspaper, the Times-Leader.

He continued working for the two newspapers, serving as production manager and in other capacities until his promotion to publisher. He served as the publisher of the two newspapers until his retirement in 2004. Deitz and his brothers — Bob and Dick — served the newspaper for many years before their retirement.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Dec. 14, 2017

Journalist Roy Reed, who covered civil rights movement, dies 

An Arkansas-born journalist and author who covered one of the key events of the civil rights era has died. Roy Reed died Dec. 10 at Washington Regional Medical Center in Fayetteville, according to his wife, Norma Reed. He was 87. Roy Reed reported on the civil rights movement during the 1960s for the New York Times and in 1965 witnessed what became known as "Bloody Sunday" when police and others beat black marchers in Selma, Alabama. Reed earlier worked for the Joplin Globe in Missouri and for the Arkansas Gazette. He left the New York Times in 1978 and returned to Arkansas where he taught journalism at the University of Arkansas

Norma Reed said funeral services are pending. Survivors include his wife, a son and a daughter and five grandchildren.

Pioneering black journalist Simeon Booker dies at age 99 

Simeon Booker, a trail-blazing African-American journalist and the first full-time black reporter at The Washington Post, died Dec. 10 at the age of 99. Booker died at an assisted-living community in Solomons, Maryland, according to a Post obituary, citing his wife Carol. He had recently been hospitalized for pneumonia. Booker served for decades as the Washington bureau chief for the iconic African-American publications Jet, a weekly, and Ebony, a monthly. He is credited with bringing to national prominence the 1955 death of Emmett Till, the 14-year old African-American boy whose brutal murder in Mississippi became a galvanizing point for the nascent civil rights movement. Booker's article included an open-casket picture of Till's mangled face that shocked the nation.

Read more:

Jack Clarke, former Illinois newspaper publisher, dies 

Jack Clarke, the longtime publisher of The (Springfield) State Journal-Register and its predecessors until he retired in 1996, has died. He was 83. The State Journal-Register reports that Clarke died of cancer Dec. 9 in Naples, Florida. Clarke  was born in Mattoon and grew up in Springfield and Chicago. He served in the Navy, earned a master's degree in business administration at Harvard and returned to Springfield to become assistant business manager and later business manager for Journal and the Register, which were then published separately. He became publisher in 1968 and oversaw the 1974 merger of the papers. Clarke helped push for the establishment of what was then Sangamon State University and has since become University of Illinois at Springfield. Survivors include his wife, Sheila; two children and two stepchildren.

Mickey Carroll, reporter who witnessed Oswald shooting, dies 

A political pollster and longtime journalist who was just feet away from Jack Ruby when he shot Lee Harvey Oswald has died. Maurice Carroll was 86. Carroll's death from colon cancer Dec. 6 was announced by Quinnipiac University. Carroll, who went by Mickey, was raised in New Jersey and spent four decades as a journalist with The New York Times, New York Herald Tribune, Newark Star-Ledger and others. He covered the aftermath of President John F. Kennedy's assassination for the Herald Tribune and was close to Oswald in the Dallas police headquarters basement when Oswald was gunned down by Jack Ruby. Carroll taught journalism and was most recently a Quinnipiac pollster. Quinnipiac President John Lahey praised Carroll as a reporter in the finest tradition of American journalism.

Former newspaper publisher Karen Wittmer Jekel dies 

Karen Wittmer Jekel, a former publisher of newspapers in Arizona and other states and a community leader in Scottsdale and the Mesa area, died Dec. 2. She was 65. The death was confirmed by her husband, Lou Jekel. He says she died six months after being diagnosed with bile duct cancer. Wittmer Jekel was publisher of the East Valley Tribune in 2007 when she joined her husband in retirement. The couple split their time between Scottsdale and Cornville, Arizona, and Alexandria Bay, New York, Survivors include her husband; her mother, Mary; brothers Mark and Marty and a sister, Margo. The couple had no children. Jim Ripley, a former co-worker of Wittmer Jekel, says the family plans private services.

IN MEMORIAM • Nov. 23, 2017

Neil Bibler, former Associated Press news editor, dies at 81 

Neil Bibler, a news editor and reporter for The Associated Press during a 33-year career that included stints in several Western states before settling in Arizona, has died. He was 81. Bibler had health issues associated with age, but the cause of death was not immediately known, said Susan Coutin, one of his two daughters.

Bibler died Tuesday at his home in the Phoenix suburb of Ahwatukee. Born in 1936 in Riverside, California, William Neil Bibler showed an interest in newspapers while growing up in Fort Worth, Texas. He later went on to study at the University of Arkansas, where he earned a master's degree in speech and drama. He worked briefly as a professor in those subjects in Magnolia, Arkansas, Coutin said.

Read more:

Walter Smith Jr., publisher of New York Beacon and Philadelphia Observer

The Black Press has lost one of its most devoted freedom warriors. Walter “Ball” Smith, the publisher of “New York’s Beacon” and the “Philadelphia Observer” died on Friday, Nov. 10. He was 83. “The Black Press has lost a true giant in Black America,” said Dorothy R. Leavell, Chairman of the National Newspaper Publishers Association and publisher of the Chicago and Gary Crusader newspapers. “Walter Smith made a difference in so many lives of Black readers and Black publishers in the Northeast, and America, in general.” As CEO of the Smith Haj Group, Smith published New York’s premier weekly, New York’s Beacon and the Philadelphia Observer. Like Black newspapers across the country, both publications catered to a loyal Black readership that made Smith a prominent figure in the Black community.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Nov. 16, 2017

Former AP Hawaii bureau chief Gordon Sakamoto dies at age 82

Gordon Sakamoto, one of the first Asian-Americans hired to work in a U.S. bureau of an international news service, died Nov. 8 at 82. Sakamoto, a former Hawaii bureau chief for The Associated Press, started his journalism career with United Press International in Honolulu in 1960. He retired in 2001 after overseeing operations in Hawaii and the Central Pacific for AP. He died in his Honolulu home after heart failure and a long battle with chronic kidney disease, his son Kyle Sakamoto said. Honolulu-born Sakamoto worked for UPI for 27 years in San Francisco and Hawaii. He joined the AP in 1993 after working five years as a marketing specialist for the state of Hawaii. The AP named him chief of bureau in Honolulu on Jan. 1, 1994.

Read more:

Liz Smith, syndicated gossip columnist, dies at 94 

Liz Smith, the syndicated gossip columnist whose mixture of banter, barbs, and bon mots about the glitterati helped her climb the A-list as high as many of the celebrities she covered, died Sunday at the age of 94. Joni Evans, Smith's literary agent, told The Associated Press she died of natural causes. For more than a quarter-century, Smith’s column — titled simply "Liz Smith" — was one of the most widely read in the world. The column's success was due in part to Smith's own celebrity status, giving her an insider's access rather than relying largely on tipsters, press releases and publicists. With a big smile and her sweet southern manner, the Texas native endeared herself to many celebrities and scored major tabloid scoops: Donald and Ivana Trump's divorce, Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's impending parenthood.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Nov. 10, 2017

Susan Linnee, ex-AP bureau chief in Madrid and Nairobi, dies

Susan Linnee, who rose from a radio stringer in Latin America to become a groundbreaking Associated Press bureau chief in Madrid and Nairobi, has died. She was 75. Linnee, who was recently diagnosed with brain cancer, died Monday, Nov. 6, at Walker Methodist Care Suites in Edina, Minnesota, after spending about a month in hospice care, according to her brother, Paul Linnee. Linnee became one of the news organization's first female American bureau chiefs overseas when she was named AP's Madrid bureau chief in 1982. In 1996, she became Nairobi bureau chief, where she shepherded AP's coverage of major news in Africa, including the spread of terrorists into Somalia, the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide, and the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Read more:

Cal Killeen, former editor of The Daily News, of Newburyport, MA, dies 

Calhoun J. “Cal” Killeen Jr., who worked as editor of The Daily News, of Newburyport, Massachusetts, for more than 20 years, died Tuesday, Oct. 31, at the age of 67. Killeen, who edited the newspaper from 1980-2002, left after it was sold and worked for the Seacoast Media Group in New Hampshire from 2004 to 2010 before taking an editorial post in Princeton, New Jersey, in 2011. Killeen was editor of the Packet Media Group, Manalapan, N.J., from 2011-2015. While in New Jersey, he had maintained his family residence in West Newbury. He returned, and in recent months had been battling ill health.

Read more:


IN MEMORIAM • Nov. 2, 2017

Veteran, versatile ex-AP photographer 'Red' McLendon dies 

Lennox "Red" McLendon, a globe-trotting photographer who chronicled everything from the Vietnam War to the Academy Awards during a long career with the U.S. Navy and The Associated Press, has died at 74. McLendon died Oct. 24 in Las Vegas, according to his family. No cause of death was given, but he had suffered from Parkinson's disease and other ailments in recent years. He began his long career as a photojournalist upon enlisting with the U.S. Navy in 1962. After teaching photography for a time, he was dispatched to Southeast Asia to cover the Vietnam War as a military combat photographer. That assignment earned him the Navy Achievement Medal With Combat V for what the military described as "professionalism and devotion to duty under arduous living and working conditions and frequent enemy rocket and mortar attacks."

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Oct. 26, 2017

Publisher of The New Tri-State Defender newspaper dies 

The Memphis, Tennessee-based New Tri-State Defender newspaper says its publisher has died. The newspaper reports that 45-year-old Bernal E. Smith II died at his home Sunday, Oct. 22. No cause of death has been released. In a statement, Associate Publisher Karanja A. Ajanaku and Best MediaProperties President Calvin Anderson said the newspaper and its management board are "devastated." Best  Media Properties is the newspaper's parent company. The paper covers news affecting the African-American community in Memphis and surrounding areas in Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee.

Executive of Ohio-based newspaper group dies in fall at Chicago hotel 

An executive of an Ohio-based newspaper group died after falling from the 20th floor of Chicago hotel. Eric Paul Janssen on Monday, Oct. 17, landed on a 6th-floor roof of the London House hotel, which is located in Chicago's downtown business district. The Cook County medical examiner has scheduled a Tuesday autopsy to determine the cause and manner of the 44-year-old Janssen's death. Janssen was a vice president of the Sandusky Newspaper Group in Memphis, which operates newspapers, websites and a digital ad agency in Utah, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee. The group’s headquarters are in Sandusky, Ohio. Friend Karen B. Golightly told the Chicago Tribune that Janssen was in Chicago to take photos and meet friends. She said Janssen wasn't staying at the London House, though she last saw him Monday afternoon at the hotel's top floor lounge.

IN MEMORIAM • Oct. 5, 2017

Media titan Samuel 'Si' Newhouse is dead at 89

S.I. Newhouse Jr., the low-profile billionaire media mogul who ran the parent company of some of the nation's most prestigious magazines, died Sunday, Sept. 30. He was 89. Newhouse's death was confirmed by his family, who said he died at his New York home. The chairman of Conde Nast since 1975, Si Newhouse, as he was known, bought and remade The New Yorker and Details magazines and revived Vanity Fair. Other magazines in the Conde Nast stable included Vogue, Wired, Glamour, W, GQ, and Self. The glossy titles helped set the nation's tastes, reached millions of aspirational readers and appealed to upscale advertisers. "In all realms, he wanted Conde Nast — and its writers, artists and editors — to be at the center of the cultural conversation," Bob Sauerberg, the company's CEO, wrote to staff in announcing Newhouse's death.

Read more:

Richard Pyle, AP reporter of Vietnam War and much more, dies

Reporter Richard Pyle, whose Associated Press career spanned a half-century of war, catastrophe and other indelible stories, died Thursday, Sept. 28, at age 83. He died at a hospital of respiratory failure due to lung fibrosis and obstructive lung disease, said his wife, actress-writer Brenda Smiley. Pyle was there when President John F. Kennedy learned of the Cuban missile challenge and when President Richard Nixon waved goodbye to the White House, when the World Trade Center's twin towers came down and when a Pennsylvania nuclear plant almost blew up, when the last Americans walked out of Hanoi's war prisons and when Desert Storm drove the last Iraqis from Kuwait.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Sept. 28, 2017

Lillian Ross, longtime New Yorker writer, dead at 99 

Lillian Ross, the ever-watchful New Yorker reporter whose close narrative style defined a memorable and influential 70-year career, including a revealing portrait of Ernest Hemingway, a classic Hollywood expose and a confession to an adulterous affair, has died at age 99. Ross died early Wednesday, Sept. 20, at Lenox Hill Hospital after suffering a stroke, New Yorker articles editor Susan Morrison said. In an email statement to The Associated Press, New Yorker editor David Remnick called Ross a groundbreaking writer. "Lillian would knock my block off for saying so, she'd find it pretentious, but she really was a pioneer, both as a woman writing at The New Yorker and as a truly innovative artist, someone who helped change and shape non-fiction writing in English," Remnick wrote.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Sept. 21, 2017

Veteran Albuquerque TV reporter killed in helicopter crash 

A longtime reporter-videographer at an Albuquerque TV station has died after the news helicopter he was piloting crashed and burned in a field near a New Mexico ghost town, authorities said Sunday, Sept.17. Bob Martin, 64, was pronounced dead at the crash scene Saturday night, according to New Mexico State Police. The Bell B206 helicopter was destroyed, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Lynn Lunsford. KRQE-TV said Martin worked for the station for more than 20 years, frequently shooting, writing and editing stories. It was not clear whether Martin was assigned to cover a story when the crash happened. "He was behind, or above, some of the biggest news stories on KRQE for the last three decades," station manager Bill Anderson said in a statement. "Yet he was rarely around for the high fives because he was already on to the next news story."

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Sept. 6, 2017

Rick Freeman, former editor on AP's sports desk in NY, dies

Rick Freeman, a congenial editor whose sense of humor made him a welcome tone setter in a veteran newsroom during his 15 years with the New York sports department of The Associated Press, has died. He was 40.

Aino Wheler, Freeman's wife, said he died of brain cancer Thursday, Aug. 31,  in Cleveland, shortly after he had been diagnosed with an aggressive tumor known as a glioblastoma.

A 1999 graduate of the University of Michigan, Freeman joined the AP in 2001 and became a valued member of the sports desk, capable of handling just about any editing shift on the department's schedule.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Aug. 31, 2017

Former AP, Boston Globe editor Christina Van Horn has died

Christina Van Horn, of Concord, New Hampshire, has died at age 66.

She spent many years as an editor, beginning her career at the Concord Monitor, then working at Associated Press bureaus in Concord and Hartford, Connecticut. She ended her New England editing career at the Boston Globe, where she was a copy editor on the local and wire desks and for The Calendar. She was also a business agent for Boston Newspaper Guild. Most recently, she was an editor for PlaidSwede Publishing of Concord.

Read more:

Former AP Topeka correspondent Lew Ferguson dies at 83

Lew Ferguson, a journalist whose 42-year career included nearly three decades as the Associated Press supervisory correspondent in Topeka, Kansas, has died. He was 83.

Ferguson's daughter said he died at an Oklahoma City hospital. No cause of death was given.

He was an Oklahoma native who returned there after working for AP in Topeka and serving a four-year term on the Kansas Board of Regents.

He became the Topeka correspondent in 1970 and helped train some 50 young writers before retiring in 1999. He was inducted into the Kansas Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2012.

Read more:

Jack Rosenthal, a journalist and civic leader, has died at age 82

Jack Rosenthal, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, government official and civic leader who was the principal editor of a landmark 1968 federal report on urban riots that found an America moving "toward two societies, separate and unequal," died at his home in Manhattan. He was 82.

The cause was complications of pancreatic cancer, his wife, Holly Russell, said.

Mr. Rosenthal, the son of a refugee judge from Nazi Germany, merged multiple careers into a lifelong commitment to public service.

He was a spokesman and strategist for Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy during the 1960s, and oversaw the editorial page of the New York Times, where he championed criminal justice reforms and spotlighted the challenges of an aging population, and the Times Magazine.

He later nurtured numerous civic ventures, including raising millions of dollars for victims of the 2001 World Trade Center attack as president of the New York Times Foundation.

Read more:

Freelancer Christopher Allen, 28, killed in South Sudan

Christopher Allen, 26, a freelance journalist covering the civil war in South Sudan, was killed during a battle between rebels and government troops. He previously lived in Lower Merion, Pennsylvania.

Allen, who worked with various news outlets, was killed in heavy fighting in the town of Kaya near the borders with Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Government officials said at least 16 rebels were also killed in the fighting. They said Allen’s body was taken to the military hospital in South Sudan’s capital, Juba.

He graduated in 2013 from the University of Pennsylvania.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Aug. 24, 2017

Former Minneapolis Star editor Leonard 'Lee' Canning dies at 87

Leonard Lee Canning was an old-school journalist who enjoyed the daily deadline drama that came as city editor when presiding over the newsroom at the Minneapolis Star, the afternoon newspaper that would merge with the morning Tribune in 1982.

Five minutes before deadline on many mornings, he would walk down the aisle in the Stars newsroom, yelling at reporters, Any late ones? a reference to late-breaking news stories that needed to be finished to get in the paper, recalls Jim Klobuchar, a retired columnist at the Star.

Canning, who rose to become managing editor, executive editor and senior vice president of the Star and Tribune Co. and later the publisher of Minnesota Suburban Newspapers, died of natural causes Aug. 7 in Naples, Florida. He was 87.

Read more:

Mary Pringle Manigault Gilbreth, granddaughter of Evening Post founder, dies

Mary Pringle Manigault Gilbreth, granddaughter of The Evening Post's founder Arthur M. Manigault, has died at age 92.

Mrs. Gilbreth was born in Charleston, South Carolina, the daughter of Edward Manigault, former publisher of The Charleston Evening Post and The News and Courier, and Mary Pringle Hamilton Manigault.

She was the widow of Frank B. Gilbreth, author, local columnist, and executive with Evening Post Publishing Co. She was elected to the then-Evening Post Publishing Co. board of directors on April 30, 1980, and actively served on the board of Evening Post Industries, owner of The Post and Courier in Charleston, South Carolina, until her death.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Aug. 17, 2017

Gloria Campisi dies at age 75

When Rolfe Neill was editor of  the Daily News in Philadelphia in the early 1970s, he hung a sign from the ceiling of the newsroom that read: “The reporter is the most important man in this room.”

Gloria Campisi, one of those reporters, decided to have a talk with Neill in his office, recalled Frank Dougherty, another reporter on staff at the time.

A couple of days later, Neill had a new sign put up: “The reporter is the most important person in this room.”

Ms. Campisi, 75, a pioneering journalist who was among the first female reporters hired at the Daily News, died at Bryn Mawr Hospital from congestive heart failure and pulmonary fibrosis, said her step-daughter Maureen McGuire.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Aug. 10, 2017

Richard Dudman dies; he covered Vietnam war for the Post-Dispatch

Richard Dudman of Ellsworth, Maine, a lifelong newspaperman who once told fellow captives in the Vietnam War, “If we get out of this alive, we’ll have one hell of a good story,” died after a long illness. He was 99.

A high point of Mr. Dudman’s reporting career was his capture in Cambodia while covering the Vietnam War for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He and two other journalists were ambushed in Cambodia in 1970. They did, indeed, get a good story. He saw the experience as a personal hazard but also as a unique journalistic opportunity to see the mysterious other side of a war he had been covering for many years.

Released after nearly six weeks, he wrote an account for the newspaper and later expanded it into a book, “40 Days with the Enemy.” He wrote an earlier book, “Men of the Far Right,” foreseeing the conservative takeover of the Republican Party in 1964.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Aug. 3, 2017

Bob Hesse, former editor of The Courier in Findlay, Ohio, dies at 73

Bob Hesse, who ran The Courier’s newsroom for 30 years, and who worked at the newspaper for 42 years, has died at age 73.

Hesse had retired as the newspaper’s editor in 2007.

Over the years, Hesse helped the Courier grow from a print publication that circulated primarily in northwestern Ohio to one that can be read worldwide via the internet.
From 1989 until he retired, Hesse had the title of editor. He previously held the titles of executive editor and managing editor.

Read more:

Thomas Miller, former Missouri newspaper executive, dies

Thomas Miller Sr., the former co-publisher of the Missourian in Washington, Missouri, and Missouri Press Association president in 1992, has died.

The Missourian reports that Miller was 81 when he died at a St. Louis County hospital, three days after becoming ill.

Miller's career at the Missourian spanned nearly four decades, including roughly 35 years as its advertising director. He retired in 1996.

Read more:

Photo editor John Morris has died at age 100

John G. Morris, a renowned picture editor who left an indelible stamp on photojournalism from World War II through the Vietnam War, died at a hospital near his home in Paris. He was 100.

His friend and colleague Robert Pledge, a founder of the agency Contact Press Images, confirmed the death.

Mr. Morris had a long and storied career in picture editing. In one memorable instance, in wartime London, he edited Robert Capa’s historic pictures of the D-Day invasion of Normandy in 1944 and got them printed and shipped to New York in time for the next week’s issue of Life, the country’s largest-circulation picture magazine at the time.

Forceful and sometimes fractious, Mr. Morris had a peripatetic career that included stops at most of the major postwar centers of American photojournalism. In addition to Life, he worked for The New York Times, The Washington Post, National Geographic and the celebrated cooperative agency Magnum Photos.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • July 27, 2017

Charles W. “Chuck” Walk has died at 81

Charles W. “Chuck” Walk of Mason City, Iowa, has died at age 81.

Chuck began his career as a general assignment reporter for the Globe Gazette before becoming editor. Chuck, along with Elwin Musser (photographer), covered the Buddy Holly crash for the Globe Gazette. Chuck later continued his career with the Kansas City Kansan in Kansas City, KS (general manager and publisher), the Bismarck Tribune in Bismarck, ND (general manager and publisher), the Helena Independent Record in Helena, MT (publisher) and the Montana Press Association (president). He retired as a publisher from Lee Enterprises.

Read more:

James A. Finley, longtime AP photographer in St. Louis, dies

James A. Finley, an acclaimed photojournalist who served as a mentor to countless others during his 22 years as The Associated Press staff photographer in St. Louis, has died. He was 76.

Finley died of peripheral vascular disease at his home in St. Louis, according to his sister, Denise Porter.

Finely was a calming presence in the midst of the most chaotic times, from covering the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series to presidential candidates on the stump, or tragedies like the Times Beach, Missouri, environmental disaster in the 1980s, the devastating flood of 1993, or the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • July 20, 2017

John Quinn, former editor in chief of USA TODAY, has died

Along with having been top editor of USA TODAY, Quinn was also the president of the Gannett News Service and later the vice president of news at Gannett Co. Inc. before retiring in 1990. He also served as a deputy chairman of the Freedom Forum and he was president of the Associated Press Managing Editors and of the American Society of Newspaper Editors.

Read more:

Jack Trawick, award-winning journalist for North Carolina paper, has died

Jack Trawick, an editor who coordinated the Winston-Salem Journal’s 1971 Pulitzer Prize-winning coverage of the effects of strip mining in Appalachia, died at Forsyth Medical Center. He was 80.

Trawick died of complications of leukemia, said his son, Michael Trawick.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • July 13, 2017

Donald C. Drake, 82, prize-winning Inquirer medical and science writer

Former media executive John F. McGee, a World War II veteran who was twice elected to serve on the Board of Directors of The Associated Press, has died.

Linda Wilson of Barlow Bonsall Funeral Home in Charleston, West Virginia, confirmed that McGee died June 23. He was 94.

The Charleston Gazette-Mail reports McGee was born in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1923 and attended Davidson College before enlisting in the Army, where he served in combat from Normandy into Germany and received several commendations including a bronze star.

McGee began his media career in his hometown at the Evening Post Publishing Company. He moved to Charleston, West Virginia, in 1970 to become president of Clay Communications and served on the Board of Directors of Thomson Newspapers until his retirement in 1990.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • June 15, 2017

Donald C. Drake, 82, prize-winning Inquirer medical and science writer

Donald C. Drake, 82, of Philadelphia, a prize-winning medical and science writer for the Inquirer who went on to a second career as a playwright, died of heart and kidney failure at his home.

From his days as a precocious grade-schooler in Scarsdale, N.Y., all that Mr. Drake wanted to do was write, and he did, becoming one of the early and best practitioners of narrative journalism in America, said Gene Foreman, the paper’s former deputy editor.

Read more:

La Prensa’s longtime publisher Tino Duran dies

Florentino “Tino” Duran, longtime owner, publisher and CEO of the bilingual biweekly newspaper La Prensa in San Antonio, Texas, has died.

He had been battling Alzheimer’s disease for several years and had retired in 2016.

Nina Duran, his daughter and successor, took to Facebook to announce his passing.

He reopened La Prensa in 1989 with his wife, Amelia Duran. It was La Prensa de San Antonio was established much earlier in 1913. Its own website says the newspaper was “the first and oldest bilingual publication in the state of Texas.”

Read more:

John McGee, former executive with The News and Courier, dies

John Frampton McGee, a former executive and comptroller with The News and Courier and The Charleston Evening Post in Charleston, South Carolina, has died at age 94.and joined the State-Record Co. as the assistant general manager of its two newspapers. Later he moved to Miami, where he was named a general executive of Knight Newspapers Inc.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • June 15, 2017

Tom Eblen, former Kansas City Star editor and newspaper man, dies at 80

Tom Eblen, former longtime Kansas City Star editor and University of Kansas journalism educator, died Saturday at age 80. He had been ill for some time, family members said. During a career that spanned more than 50 years, Eblen worked at The Star as a reporter, copy editor, city editor, and managing editor before moving on to serve as the general manager at the Fort Scott Tribune. He then spent more than 15 years as the general manager and news adviser for KU’s student newspaper, The University Daily Kansan. He served two terms on the APME board of directors and was editor of APME News in 1978 and ’79. Born in St. Joseph in 1936, Eblen graduated from the University of Missouri and worked at the Columbia Missourian and the Amarillo Daily News in Texas before arriving at The Star, where he rose to the position of managing editor in the 1970s. Former Star reporters remember him fondly.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • June 8, 2017

Former Norman Transcript publisher Jim Miller dies

When former Norman (Oklahoma) Transcript publisher Jim Miller, 86, died May 26, he left behind a media legacy that stretched three generations.

In January 1987, Miller was introduced as the new general manager of The Norman Transcript, moving from the Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise. A 1952 OU graduate, he had begun his career in Chickasha at the Daily Express and worked at larger metro newspapers like The Tulsa World and Tribune and The Houston Chronicle.

Read more:

Dan Lynch, former editor of The Times Union in Albany, New York, has died

Dan Lynch, an old-school newspaperman who was also a novelist, producer of documentary films, radio and TV host, political candidate and journalism teacher, died at a hospital in Delray Beach, Florida. He was 71 and had been battling lung cancer.

After working as a political writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer and New York editor of the Long Island paper Newsday, Lynch was hired by the Times Union as a managing editor in 1979.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • June 1, 2017

Sportswriter Frank Deford dies at 78

Longtime sportswriter Frank Deford, who spent decades at Sports Illustrated and NPR, died Sunday at age 78 in Key West, Florida.

Deford’s wife first confirmed her husband’s death to The Washington Post and NPR.

Deford began his career at Sports Illustrated in 1962 and left the outlet in 1989 to become editor of The National, a daily sports newspaper with a grandiose vision of providing in-depth sports news that ceased publication after only 18 months. Deford eventually returned to Sports Illustrated, where he most recently held the title of senior editor emeritus.

Deford was awarded the National Humanities Medal by President Obama in 2013.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • May 24, 2017

Doris Selig, longtime AP communications employee, dies at 90

A woman who rose from a teenage printer attendant for The Associated Press during World War II to communications executive during a 55-year career with the global news agency has died. Doris Selig was 90.

After graduating from high school in 1943, the Albany, New York, native joined the AP bureau there. She tended news copy printers before becoming a teletype operator, punching in stories.

In 1974, she transferred to AP's communications facility in New Jersey for training as a technician. She later returned to New York and worked in the communications department at AP's Manhattan headquarters.

Selig retired as assistant chief of communications in 1998.

Read more:

Roger Ailes, media guru and political strategist, dies at 77

Roger Ailes, the communications maestro who transformed television news and America's political conversation by creating and ruling Fox News Channel for two decades before being ousted last year for alleged sexual harassment, has died at age 77.

A former GOP operative to candidates including Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush and a one-time adviser to President Donald Trump, Ailes' TV network changed the face of 24-hour news. In early 1996, he accepted a challenge from media titan Rupert Murdoch to build a news network from scratch to compete with CNN and other TV outlets they deemed left-leaning.

Fox News and 21st Century Fox executive chairman Rupert Murdoch called Ailes as "a brilliant broadcaster (who) played a huge role in shaping America's media over the last thirty years" in a statement.

Read more:

Photographer Stanley Greene dies at 68

Stanley Greene, whose visceral and brutally honest images of conflict and fearlessness in the most perilous of places made him one of the leading war photographers of his generation, died on Friday in Paris. He was 68.

The death was confirmed by the photographer-owned agency Noor Images, of which Mr. Greene, who lived in Paris, was a founding member. No cause was given, although associates said he had been treated for liver cancer for several years.

Mr. Greene was one of the few African-American photographers who worked internationally.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • May 17, 2017

Sally Jacobsen, AP's first female international editor, dies

Sally Jacobsen, a widely experienced Associated Press correspondent who became the first woman to serve as the news service's international editor, overseeing with a cool, steady hand coverage of wars, terrorism and a daily stream of history-making events, has died at the age of 70.

Jacobsen, who retired in 2015 to Croton-on-Hudson, New York, died at nearby Phelps Hospital from a recurrence of cancer that first struck her six years ago, said her husband, Patrick Oster, a retired Bloomberg News managing editor.

Her 39-year career took her from the precincts of financial power as a Washington economics correspondent, to the earthquake-ravaged barrios of Mexico City, to the councils of NATO in Brussels and then to the pressure-packed job at New York headquarters of leading AP's scores of international correspondents through the years of 9/11 and the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

In her final jobs, she supervised the AP Stylebook, shepherding through changes in newswriting conventions followed by media organizations everywhere, and was executive director of the industry group Associated Press Media Editors.

Read more:

Robert H. Phelps, editor at New York Times and Boston Globe, dies at 97

Robert H. Phelps had a distinguished career at The Boston Globe, shaping the modern paper, overseeing the coverage in major series that won Pulitzer Prizes, and serving as the newspaper’s executive editor for 11 years.

But he may be remembered as much for one story that he missed. In 1972, as news editor in the Washington bureau of The New York Times, he inadvertently let the Watergate scandal slip through his fingers, allowing it to become The Washington Post’s enviable scoop.

Mr. Phelps died at 97 on in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Thomas Mulvoy Jr., his friend and former Globe colleague, said the cause was complications of colorectal cancer.

Read more:

Richard Anthony, former Daily Star publisher, has died

Richard J. “Dick” Anthony, a former longtime publisher at The Daily Star in Oneonta, New York, has died at age 81.
Anthony retired in 1998 after 14 years leading Oneonta's daily newspaper. He was associated with Ottaway newspapers, the former parent company of The Daily Star, for 37 years.

Anthony, of Guilderland, died at Albany Medical Center from various medical conditions, according to his daughter, Carolyn Adam, of Cooperstown.

Read more:

Longtime Hennessey (Oklahoma) Clipper publisher dies

Retired Hennessey (Oklahoma) Clipper publisher William 'Bill' Brent Walter has died at age 82.

Walter was a third generation publisher of The Clipper, which was in his family from 1904-2014.

Walter loved photography and was the newspaper's expert in that department. His collection of cameras was donated to Hennessey Public Library several years ago and still is on display.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • May 4, 2017

NBC reporter, Latina journalism pioneer Cecilia Alvear dies

SANTA MONICA, California — Cecilia Alvear, who fought for Latino inclusion in newsrooms and reached unprecedented heights for a Hispanic woman in journalism in a decades-long career with NBC news, has died, her partner said.

Alvear, who also served as president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, died at her home in Santa Monica after suffering from breast cancer that recurred in 2012, her longtime partner George Lewis said. Alvear was 77.

A native of Ecuador born in the Galapagos on the island of San Cristobal, Alvear came to the U.S. in 1965 and worked in a congressman's office until getting a job as a TV news production assistant in 1971.

Read more:

Longtime New Ulm (Minnesota) Journal publisher dies at 65

Bruce Fenske, former publisher of The Journal in New Ulm, Minnesota, died suddenly at his home at the age of 65.

Fenske was a New Ulm native who took over as publisher of The Journal in 1980 at the age of 29. He served as publisher for 35 years in a journalism career that started when he was in high school, taking sports calls at night and shooting photos. He worked as a stringer for The Journal during his years at the University of Minnesota.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • April 27, 2017

Ruth Sulzberger Holmberg, past Chattanooga Times publisher, 96, dies

Ruth Sulzberger Holmberg, longtime publisher of The Chattanooga Times and a member of the family that controls The New York Times, died April 19 at her home in that Tennessee city. She was 96. Holmberg was the granddaughter of Adolph S. Ochs, the patriarch of The Chattanooga Times who gained prominence as publisher of The New York Times early in the 20th century. The Chattanooga Times Free Press ( said her death Wednesday was confirmed by her family.

It said Holmberg was born Ruth Rachel Sulzberger in New York City and that she worked as a reporter at The New York Times while in high school. She later graduated from Smith College and arrived in Chattanooga in 1946 after serving as a Red Cross nurse in Europe for a time in World War II, according to the account. Early on, Holmberg served as art and theater critic for The Chattanooga Times.

Read more:

Longtime Alabama editor Sam Harvey dies

The longtime editor of one of Alabama's best-known small newspapers has died. Veteran journalist Sam Harvey died Tuesday, April 18, of complications from liver cancer. He was 86. Harvey edited The Advertiser-Gleam of Guntersville for 47 years. He was a former president of the Alabama Press Association and a recipient of the organization's lifetime achievement award. The Advertiser-Gleam isn't a daily paper, publishing twice a week with a circulation of about 10,000. But it's widely known for a conversational writing style and its folksy obituaries, which go into far more detail than most newspapers. Harvey's father, Porter Harvey, established the newspaper. Sam Harvey retired three years ago and sold the paper to the Shelton newspaper family of north Alabama. Survivors include Harvey's four children.

IN MEMORIAL • April 18, 2017

Jim Fitzgerald, longtime AP writer and editor, dies at 66

Jim Fitzgerald, a longtime Associated Press writer and editor who helped shape the news service's coverage of stories from terror attacks to the evolving landscape of aging, died Monday, April 17. He was 66. Fitzgerald, who worked for the AP for 45 years before retiring in December, had been fighting leukemia for more than a year and a half. He died at a New York hospital, said his wife, Ellen Nimmons, a manager at AP's headquarters. During decades of covering New York City's northern suburbs and editing local and national stories, Fitzgerald was known for handling some of the top news of the day with a can-do demeanor, professionalism, fairness and a gentlemanly grace. His trademark answer to an everyday "How are you?": "Never better."

Read more:

Longtime northwest Arkansas newspaper editor Morriss dies

Longtime northwest Arkansas newspaper editor James Morriss II has died at age 80.
Sisco Funeral Chapel says Morriss died Wednesday, April 12, at a hospice in Springdale. A cause of death was not immediately released. Morriss spent 53 years in the newspaper business until his retirement in 2003. He began in 1950 at The Springdale News by sweeping the press room and later worked as a reporter and photographer for the newspaper until being named city editor in 1960 and editor in 1963. He was named editor of The Morning News, which was created when The Springdale News merged with the Northwest Arkansas Morning News of Rogers. The publication is now the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

N MEMORIAM • April 5, 2017

Journalist Wilson 'Bill' Minor dies; covered civil rights

Wilson F. "Bill" Minor, a journalist who chronicled Mississippi through almost 70 years of change including its turbulent struggle over civil rights, died March 28 at his home in Jackson. He was 94. Minor was a native of Hammond, Louisiana, and graduated from Tulane University in 1943. He served on a Navy destroyer, the USS Stephen Potter, in World War II before going to work for the Times-Picayune newspaper in New Orleans in 1946. His first assignment for the newspaper in Mississippi was in August 1947, on what Minor later recalled was a sweltering, gnat-filled day covering the funeral of arch-segregationist U.S. Sen. Theodore Bilbo. Minor covered the 1955 trial and acquittal of two white men accused of killing black teenager Emmett Till for whistling at a white woman; the 1962 riots after the court-ordered integration of the University of Mississippi; the 1963 assassination of Mississippi NAACP leader Medgar Evers; and the 1964 "Mississippi Burning" slayings of three civil rights workers.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • March 31, 2017

Historian, journalist and activist Roger Wilkins dies at 85

Roger Wilkins, a historian, journalist and activist who held a key civil rights post in President Lyndon Johnson's administration and helped The Washington Post win a Pulitzer for its Watergate coverage, died Sunday, relatives said. He was 85. Wilkins, most recently a history professor at George Mason University, died at an assisted-living facility in Kensington, Maryland, said his wife, Patricia King, and his daughter, Elizabeth Wilkins. The cause of death was complications from dementia, they said. His uncle Roy Wilkins was the longtime executive director of the NAACP. A lifetime later, his daughter Elizabeth worked in the presidential campaign of then-Sen. Barack Obama.

Read more:

Robert Hoag Rawlings, Pueblo, Colorado, newspaper leader dies at 92

Robert Hoag Rawlings, chairman and editor of The Pueblo Chieftain, has died of natural causes. He was 92. Rawlings worked at The Pueblo Chieftain and its former sister publication, The Pueblo Star-Journal, for 70 years. The Chieftain reports ( ) that he spent the past 37 years as publisher and editor, becoming chairman of the Star-Journal Publishing Corp. this year. A Pueblo native and a World War II Navy veteran, Rawlings used the editorial pages to advocate for Pueblo and Southeastern Colorado. He fought to protect institutions such as Colorado State University-Pueblo and the Colorado State Fair but was best known for his battle to protect the quantity and quality of water in the Pueblo area.
Under his direction, The Chieftain won numerous awards for its reporting and editorials about water.

Don Carter, a newsman for 5 decades, dies in Georgia at 99

Don E. Carter, a newspaper reporter, editor and executive whose career began before World War II and spanned nearly five decades, has died at age 99. Carter died Wednesday,March 22, at his home on Sea Island, about 70 miles south of Savannah, Georgia. Richard Best, a funeral director for Edo Miller and Sons Funeral Home, confirmed his death and said Carter, who would have turned 100 in June, had been under hospice care. Carter became a reporter at The Atlanta Journal after graduating from the University of Georgia in 1938. After serving overseas in the Army during World War II, he resumed his news career as an editor, publisher and later as a vice president for Knight-Ridder before retiring in 1982. His surviving relatives include a prominent cousin, former President Jimmy Carter.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • March 23, 2017

George Bria, AP newsman who flashed Nazi surrender, dies at 101

George E. Bria, the Associated Press newsman who flashed word of the German surrender in Italy at World War II's end and went on to become chief U.N. correspondent, a key news editor and a widely published gardening columnist, died Saturday, March 18. He was 101. Bria died at a New York hospital after his health had declined for a time, said his daughter, Judy Storey. As a young reporter, Bria bore witness to Benito Mussolini's death and covered the Nuremberg war crimes trials. Later, as a senior foreign news editor at AP's New York headquarters, he helped define and shape the day's news and prepare generations of journalists to cover the world. "George Bria was a multitalented journalist of many interests, a dedicated professional of the old school who exemplified the best of the AP during a long, distinguished career," said AP Executive Editor Sally Buzbee.

Read more:

Jimmy Breslin, chronicler of wise guys and underdogs, dies at 87

Author-columnist Jimmy Breslin, the Pulitzer Prize-winning chronicler of wise guys and underdogs who became the brash embodiment of the old-time, street smart New Yorker, died Sunday. He was 88. Breslin died at his Manhattan home of complications from pneumonia, his stepdaughter, Emily Eldridge, said. Breslin was a fixture for decades in New York journalism, notably with the New York Daily News. It was Breslin, a rumpled bed of a reporter, who mounted a quixotic political campaign for citywide office in the '60s; who became the Son of Sam's regular correspondent in the '70s; who exposed the city's worst corruption scandal in decades in the '80s; who was pulled from a car and stripped to his underwear by Brooklyn rioters in the '90s. With his uncombed mop of hair and sneering Queens accent, Breslin was like a character right out of his own work, and didn't mind telling you. "I'm the best person ever to have a column in this business," he once boasted. "There's never been anybody in my league."

Read more:

Washington Post copy editor and author Bill Walsh dies at 55

Bill Walsh, a copy editor at The Washington Post whose witty blog and books about grammar, spelling and capitalization made him a popular voice on language, has died. Walsh's wife, Jacqueline Dupree, tells The Post ( that he died  March 15 from complications of bile-duct cancer at a hospice in Arlington, Virginia. He was 55. The American Journalism Review called Walsh "the undisputed king of copy bloggers." During his 20 years at The Post, Walsh was copy chief of the national and business sections. He wrote three books on copy editing. The most recent was "Yes, I Could Care Less: How to Be a Language Snob Without Being a Jerk," published in 2013. Walsh was a frequent speaker at conferences of the American Copy Editors Society.

Claude Lewis, Philadelphia journalism pioneer, dies at 82

Claude Lewis, who became the first black man to write a regular newspaper column in Philadelphia and was a founding member of the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists (PABJ) and the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), died  March 16 at Virtua Voorhees Hospital in Voorhees, N.J. He was 82. Born and raised in Harlem, N.Y., Lewis had been battling diabetes for years. The disease had claimed his vision about a decade ago. In 1965, Lewis was lured from NBC to the Evening Bulletin. He joined the city staff as a general assignment reporter. In 1968, the managing editor, George R. Packard, wanted Lewis to write a column three times a week. The move made Lewis an icon, especially in the African-American community.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • March 9, 2017

Former AP correspondent Sam Summerlin dies at 89

Former Associated Press foreign correspondent Sam Summerlin, who was the first to report the Korean War had ended and covered everything from Latin American revolutions to U.S. race riots during a long and distinguished career, has died. He was 89. He died Feb. 28 at a care home in Carlsbad, California, from complications of Parkinson's disease, according to his daughter, Claire Slattery of Encinitas, California. Summerlin had a second successful career as a New York Times executive and then a third as producer of scores of documentaries on historical figures and entertainers. But it was his days as an AP foreign correspondent that he treasured the most, he said in a 2004 oral history for the news service's archives. It was a job that gave him a window through which to view some of world's most historic events, as well as an opportunity to meet such disparate cultural icons as author Ernest Hemingway and Latin American revolutionary Che Guevara.

Read more:

Former Louisville Courier-Journal managing editor dies at 70

Irene Nolan, the former Louisville Courier-Journal managing editor who helped the newspaper win a Pulitzer Prize in 1989, has died. She was 70. The Courier-Journal reports ( ) that Nolan died Friday, March 3, after spending recent days in a Norfolk, Virginia hospital several hours from her Frisco, North Carolina home on Hatteras Island. Her family said she had been ill with a severe lung disorder. Nolan was serving as editor and co-owner of The Island Free Press, an online publication in coastal Carolina. From 1987 to 1992, Nolan was managing editor of the Courier-Journal. The newspaper won a Pulitzer Prize in 1989 for covering the 1988 Carrollton bus crash that killed 27 people.

Read more:

Veteran Israeli photojournalist David Rubinger dies at 92

Veteran Israeli photographer David Rubinger, whose photo of Israeli paratroopers at the Western Wall holy site became an iconic image of the 1967 Mideast war, has died at age 92, his children said Thursday, March 2. Rubinger worked as a photojournalist for TIME-LIFE magazine for nearly half a century. His portraits span the history of Israel, from the front lines of Israel's major wars to intimate photos of Israeli prime ministers and Jewish immigrants. His most famous photo was of the paratroopers after Israeli forces captured the Western Wall and east Jerusalem in 1967. "Frequently these days, when looking back over the years, I find myself asking how I could have been so lucky," Rubinger wrote in his biography, "Israel Through My Lens: Sixty Years as a Photojournalist."

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • March 1, 2017

Iva Drapalova, former AP Prague correspondent, dies at 91

Iva Drapalova, a former Associated Press correspondent in Prague who covered Czechoslovakia with courage for two decades following the 1968 Soviet-led invasion, has died. She was 91. Drapalova's family said Tuesday, Jan. 3, that she died "quietly and suddenly" on Saturday. After her years with the AP, she worked for the Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, the Washington Post and other major U.S. newspapers. Born April 4, 1925, in Svepravice near Prague, Drapalova spent World War II in Britain. After she returned to Czechoslovakia, she and her family were persecuted by the country's Communist regime during the 1950s. The AP hired her as a translator in 1968, the year that Moscow crushed the Prague Spring — the brief period of liberal reforms in Czechoslovakia under leader Alexander Dubcek. Drapalova later became the news agency's Prague correspondent, covering events after Warsaw Pact forces reasserted Soviet authority.

Read more:

Journalist Clare Hollingworth, who broke news of WW II, dies

Clare Hollingworth, a British war correspondent who was the first to report the Nazi invasion of Poland that marked the beginning of World War II, died in Hong Kong on Tuesday, Jan. 10. She was 105. The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong announced her death, calling her a beloved member with a remarkable career including "the scoop of the century." A determined journalist who defied gender barriers and narrowly escaped death several times, Hollingworth spent much of her career on the front lines of major conflicts, including in the Middle East, North Africa and Vietnam, working for British newspapers. She lived her final four decades in Hong Kong after being one of the few Western journalists stationed in China in the 1970s.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Jan. 12, 2017

Columnist Nat Hentoff dies at 91

Nat Hentoff, an eclectic columnist, critic, novelist and agitator dedicated to music, free expression and defying the party line, died Saturday at age 91. His son, Tom Hentoff, said his father died from natural causes at his Manhattan apartment.

Schooled in the classics and the stories he heard from Duke Ellington and other jazz greats, Nat Hentoff enjoyed a diverse and iconoclastic career, basking in "the freedom to be infuriating on a myriad of subjects." He was a bearded, scholarly figure, a kind of secular rabbi, as likely to write a column about fiddler Bob Wills as a dissection of the Patriot Act, to have his name appear in the liberal Village Voice as the far-right, where his column last appeared in August 2016.

Read more:

Walter Wick, who helped grow family newspaper company, dies

The former publisher of Arizona's Sierra Vista Herald, who with his brother grew Wick Communications into a media company with publications in 11 states, has died. He was 85. Walter M. Wick died Christmas morning at his home in Hereford. He had pancreatic cancer. His brother, Robert Wick, told the Herald that he was "as blessed as any brother could be with Walter's presence in my life." The brothers bought their uncle's interest in the company in 1965. They took over full ownership when their father died in 1981. Their father, Milton Wick, and uncle, James, founded the company when they acquired the family's first newspaper in 1926 in Niles, Ohio.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM • Dec. 21, 2016

Longtime Tennessee newspaper figure dies at 101

Martha Arnold Susong (Arne) Jones, who spent six decades in roles at The Greeneville (Tennessee) Sun ranging from co-owner to columnist, has died. She was 101. The Greeneville Sun reports ( ) Jones died peacefully early Friday, Dec. 16, with her five children by her side at Laughlin Memorial Hospital. Jones co-owned the newspaper with a few family members from the 1940s until earlier this year. For three decades, she sat on the board of directors for the newspaper and its parent company, Jones Media, Inc. Jones wrote the well-known "cheerful chatter" column weekly or monthly for 33 years, from 1974 until 2007.

Jones' husband, former longtime Sun publisher John M. Jones, died in July. The family will receive friends Sunday at St. James Episcopal Church. The funeral will follow at the church Monday.

Betty Flood, veteran Albany statehouse reporter, dies at 83

Elizabeth Flood Morrow, owner of an independent news service who was one of the first female correspondents to cover New York's statehouse, has died at 83. Flood Morrow died Dec. 14 at an Albany hospital, where she underwent surgery after being injured in a fall at her home in Loudonville. Known to New York governors, lawmakers and fellow reporters as Betty Flood, the Albany native worked out of a small office amid larger media outlets on the Capitol's third floor. She owned and ran the Cuyler News Service, which provides statehouse stories for financial and trade publications. She bought the business in 1961, a few years after she began covering state government during Gov. Averell Harriman's administration. Flood Morrow co-founded the Women's Press Club of New York in 1966.

IN MEMORIAM • Dec. 8, 2016

Investigative journalist Phillip Knightley dies at 87
A fascination with spies and scandals, combined with deep patience and persistence, made Phillip Knightley a legend among investigative journalists. Knightley, who has died aged 87, helped gain compensation for the victims of thalidomide through a landmark investigation for London's Sunday Times, and shone light on the murky world of Cold War espionage. Former Sunday Times editor Harold Evans called him "the gold standard of public journalism." "Phil was spurred by injustice," Evans wrote in a tribute. Knightley died Wednesday, Dec. 7, in London, his literary agent Rachel Calder said Friday. Born into a working-class family in Sydney in 1929, Knightley worked for publications in Australia, Fiji and India before joining London's Sunday Times in the 1960s. Under Evans, the paper became renowned for its investigations.

Read more:

Longtime South Dakota editor Garnos dies

Gordon R. Garnos, former editor at the Watertown Public Opinion and a member of the South Dakota Hall of Fame, died Friday. He was 81. Garnos, who grew up in Presho, came to Watertown in 1964 and was employed almost 40 years at the Public Opinion, including the last 22 years as editor. He retired in 2002. "Gordy was a newsman's newsman," said former Public Opinion general manager and publisher Steve Lowrie. "He had a talent for finding the facts for important stories, and he always had his nose to the ground looking for a story. Garnos was a graduate of the University of South Dakota and served in the U.S. Air Force. He was elected to the Watertown City Council in 2002 and served three terms. He lost a 2004 bid to the South Dakota House of Representatives. In 2007 he was named a Lusk Fellow at South Dakota State University and was elected to the South Dakota Newspaper Hall of Fame. In 2010 he was inducted to the state Hall of Fame. Garnos is survived by his wife, Beth, of Watertown, his sons, William and Richard, and his daughter, Heather.

IN MEMORIAM • Dec. 1, 2016

Chris Moore, ex-managing editor of the Argus Observer, dies

Chris Moore, a former managing editor of the Argus Observer, of Ontario, Oregon, has died after a long illness. She was 92. The Argus Observer reports ( that she died Monday, Nov. 28. Moore turned down a job at Sunset Magazine in 1947 to stay near home and instead took a job at the Argus Observer. She was born and raised in Jordan Valley, Oregon,  and got a bachelor's degree in home economics, with a minor in journalism. Moore covered everything from traffic to murders at the paper and worked her way up to managing editor. She retired in the mid-1990s. In addition to her newspaper career, Moore was active in many civic organizations, including 4-H, and involved in church activities.

IN MEMORIAM • Nov. 30, 2016

Georgia news anchor dies in head-on US 17 crash

Television anchor Don Logana of WTOC, died in an early morning car crash in Jasper County, South Carolina, the Savannah, Georgia, news station announced and Jasper County Coroner Martin Sauls III confirmed on Sunday, Nov. 20. The two-vehicle, head-on collision occurred around 4 a.m. on U.S. 17 near the Georgia state line, South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Matt Southern said Sunday morning. There was only one fatality in the crash near 425 Speedway Blvd. Logana was a back-seat passenger and one of four occupants of a car heading north on U.S. 17, Southern said. The second vehicle, a pickup truck, was traveling south on U.S. 17 when the two vehicles collided. The driver and two other passengers in the car were injured and transported by EMS for Savannah Memorial Hospital, Southern said. The driver and only occupant of the truck also was injured and was taken to Savannah Memorial Hospital by private vehicle. The Highway Patrol is investigating the crash, Southern said.

Longtime Alaska newspaper publisher dies after cancer battle
Nancy McGuire, the longtime publisher of Alaska's oldest newspaper, said goodbye to her subscribers in an editorial published Thursday, Nov. 17, the day she died after battling cancer for years. She was 72. McGuire was publisher of the weekly Nome Nugget for 34 years in the western Alaska town of Nome. Her friend and former Nome mayor, John Handeland, said McGuire died at a local long-term care facility. Even as her health waned, McGuire was determined to remain in Nome instead of seeking medical treatment elsewhere. "Nome was her home and this is where she wanted to stay," Handeland said. The Nugget was established in 1897, thriving in the rough-and-tumble Gold Rush town.

Read more:

Journalist and author Ruth Gruber dies in NY at age 105
When Ruth Gruber saw a report during World War II that 1,000 Jewish refugees were being brought to the United States, she rushed straight to her job with the Secretary of the Interior. "I got rid of my breakfast and rushed to the office and said, 'I have to see the Secretary.' I told him, 'Somebody has to go over and hold their hands; they're going to be terrified,'" Gruber said in a 2010 interview in The Sunday Telegraph of London. That somebody turned out to be her, and as she accompanied the refugees to the U.S., she interviewed them, which became the basis of "Haven: The Dramatic Story of 1,000 World War II Refugees and How They Came to America," one of her many books but only one part of Gruber's long, trailblazing life. The journalist and humanitarian died on Thursday at her home in Manhattan, according to her editor, Philip Turner. She was 105.

Read more:

Longtime Kansas City Star columnist C.W. Gusewelle dies

C.W. Gusewelle, a longtime columnist for The Kansas City Star, has died. The Star reports ( ) that Gusewelle died Tuesday, Nov. 15. His age and the cause of death were not given. Charles W. Gusewelle joined the Star in 1955 as a general assignment reporter and went on to become an editorial writer on foreign affairs. After serving as foreign editor, he became an associate editor and columnist.

The Missouri Press Association named Gusewelle daily columnist of the year in 1984, 1985 and 1987. He wrote 21 books and continued to write his weekly column for the Star until earlier this year. Mike Fannin, the Star's editor and vice president, said in a statement that "Kansas City journalism has lost one of its greatest voices."


PBS journalist Gwen Ifill dies of cancer
Gwen Ifill, co-anchor of PBS' "NewsHour" with Judy Woodruff and a veteran journalist who moderated two vice presidential debates, died Monday, Nov. 14, of cancer, the network said. She was 61. A former reporter for The New York Times and The Washington Post, Ifill switched to television in the 1990s and covered politics and Congress for NBC News. She moved to PBS in 1999 as host of "Washington Week" and also worked for the nightly "NewsHour" program. She and Woodruff were named co-anchors in 2013. She moderated vice presidential debates in 2004 and 2008 and authored the book, "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." The president on Monday praised Ifill for informing today's citizens while also inspiring a young generation of journalists. "I always appreciated Gwen's reporting, even when I was on the receiving end of one of her tough" interviews, Obama said.

Read more:

Simms, first chairman of AU journalism program, dies at 89

Jack Simms, a journalist and author who helped build Auburn University's journalism department, died Tuesday, Nov. 8, at the age of 89. Simms was hired at Auburn in 1974 to head the university's newly formed department of journalism. He went to the university after a 23-year career with The Associated Press. He served as AP's deputy general sports editor in New York. He also served as AP's bureau chief in Kentucky and in Boston. Simms was beloved by students and colleagues for his quick wit and enthusiasm. He played a key role in the department's first application for accreditation. He also developed the department's "weed-out" class that required a score of 83 to pass.  "I honestly can say that I've never known anyone who didn't love Jack Simms. Students would tell Jack years later how the class changed their lives, made them journalists," said former Auburn journalism professor Ed Williams.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM  • OCT 25, 2016

East Oregonian newspaper's former general manager dies at 77

 C.K. "Pat" Patterson, a longtime general manager at the East Oregonian newspaper in Pendleton, Oregon, has died. He was 77. Patterson was an intimidating presence with high expectations, but also as a savvy manager who had his employees' interests in mind. The East Oregonian reports he was famous for putting new hires through their paces before warming up to them. Patterson, who only had an associate's degree, started at the East Oregonian in 1984 and worked as general manager there until 1993. He went on as corporate general manager in Salem and general manager of the Capital Press until 1996. He retired in 2005.Patterson was passionate about his hometown of Pendleton. He served as Pendleton Chamber of Commerce president in 1991 and helped launch the Round-Up City Development Corporation.

IN MEMORIAM    OCT. 11, 2016

Longtime Daily Times editor H. Dean Stone dies at 92

H. Dean Stone, longtime editor of The Daily Times, of Maryville, Tennessee, has died. He was 92. Smith Funeral and Cremation Service confirmed Stone's death on Monday, Oct. 11. The newspaper ( ) said Stone worked at The Maryville-Alcoa Daily Times during the summers of 1947 and 1948 and became Sunday editor in 1949 when the paper began publishing a Sunday edition. The Sunday edition didn't survive, but Stone became managing editor of the daily paper as well as sports editor. Stone worked at the paper for 66 years, outlasting four owners and six publishers and seeing the news move from hot type to computer-generated type to the internet. Stone served on education foundations, established an ongoing service project that serves the needy at Christmas, led the Tennessee Great Smoky Mountains Park Commission and scores of other organizations. Funerals arrangements are incomplete.

Longtime Hawaii sports writer Bill Kwon dies at age 81

Longtime Hawaii sports writer Bill Kwon, who covered generations of golfers from Arnold Palmer to Michelle Wie, has died. He was 81. Kwon's friend and former colleague Ann Miller says he passed away Wednesday, Oct. 5, at a Honolulu nursing home where he had been living for about a year. She didn't know his cause of death. Kwon started at the Honolulu Star-Bulletin as a clerk in 1959. But his connection with the newspaper dated back even further to 1941, when he sold papers as a 6-year-old. He went on to be a sports reporter, columnist and sports editor before retiring in 2001. He later wrote a golf column for The Honolulu Advertiser for nearly a decade.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM   OCT. 5, 2016

Former TV news anchor Larry Stogner dies after fighting ALS

Larry Stogner, a reporter and anchor in the Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, television market for more than 40 years, has died at his home after fighting ALS. He was 69. The station reported on its web page that Stogner died at his home Sunday night. Stogner began his television career at UNC-TV, then worked as an anchor and reporter at WRAL-TV in Raleigh. He joined WTVD-TV in Durham in 1976 and was named anchor of the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts in 1982. He retired in 2015, announcing on air that he was battling ALS. He became an activist, fighting to raise awareness and find a cure for the disease.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM    SEPT. 13, 2016

Robert Timberg, journalist, author and Vietnam veteran, dies

Robert R. "Bob" Timberg, a Marine Corps veteran who survived horrific injuries in Vietnam and became a Washington reporter for The Baltimore Sun, has died at age 76. The Hardesty Funeral Home confirmed that he died at a hospital in Annapolis, where he had lived. Timberg's 1995 book, "The Nightingale's Song," looked at the lives of five fellow Naval Academy graduates, including Sen. John McCain and former Sen. Jim Webb.

Read more:

Michael Frome, former professor, nationally known as environment writer

Michael Frome, a nationally known writer who taught environmental journalism at several colleges, including Western Washington University for eight years, has died at age 96. Frome died in Wisconsin, where he moved after retiring from Western in 1995. Frome wrote about conservation, environmentalism and the outdoors with the journalistic standards of a reporter and the passion of an advocate. “I teach a different kind of journalism, advocacy journalism in behalf of the environment, yet hewing to basic principles of literacy, accuracy, fairness and meeting the deadline,” he told The Bellingham Herald in 2007.

Read more:

Thomas C. Benet dies; San Francisco Chronicle reporter, editor for 40 years

Thomas C. Benet, a veteran San Francisco journalist who was a reporter, editor and chief editorial writer for The Chronicle, died at his San Francisco home after a short illness. Mr. Benet, who was 89, had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August. Mr. Benet worked at The Chronicle for more than 40 years.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM       SEPT. 6, 2016

Jerry Griffith, editor of Merced (California) Sun-Star, dies at 88

Jerry William Griffith, a retired newspaper reporter and editor who spent many years with the Merced (California) Sun-Star, has died at age 88. In 1978, Griffith accepted a position with Merced College, where he served as information officer, the family said. The pull of the newsroom and the city beat brought him to the Sun-Star a few years later, where he worked until his retirement in 1991, according to the statement.

Read more: 

Salina (Kansas) Journal’s former publisher dies

Frederick Vandegrift, former publisher of the Salina (Kansas) Journal, has died. He was 87. A graduate of the University of Nebraska, Vandegrift In 1952 accepted a position with the Salina Journal in the advertising department, where he worked on the business side. In 1956, he was appointed to the paper’s board of directors. From there, he worked his way up to publisher and president.

IN MEMORIAM   AUG. 30, 2106

Muckraking San Francisco journalist Warren Hinckle dies at 77

Warren Hinckle, a muckraking journalist who drew the wrath of mayors, police or anyone who got in his way, has died. He was 77. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that his daughter Pia Hinckle says her father had been in declining health and died of complications from pneumonia at a hospital near his home in San Francisco. He was surrounded by his family. Hinckle was a groundbreaking editor for the liberal magazines Ramparts and Scanlan's Monthly in the 1960s and '70s and more recently wrote reliably irreverent columns for newspapers, including the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Francisco Examiner, the newspaper reported.

Read more:

Longtime Associated Press TV columnist Jerry Buck dies at 85

William G. (Jerry) Buck, a columnist who chronicled the television industry for The Associated Press in New York and Los Angeles, died at age 85. During his career he wrote about the rise of cable television, the videocassette and the growth of political TV coverage, among many other topics. His son Scott Buck says his heart stopped after a long decline in health.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM   AUG. 23, 2016

Prominent black journalist, Publisher George Curry has died

George E. Curry, a journalist, civil rights activist and publisher whose syndicated column ran in hundreds of black-owned newspapers around the United States, has died. He was 69. Curry, of Laurel, Maryland, died suddenly on at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park, Maryland, after he was taken to the emergency room there, his sister, Charlotte Purvis, said Sunday. Curry's syndicated column was carried in more than 200 African American-owned newspapers, and he served two stints as editor-in-chief of the National Newspaper Publishers Association, a news service for black papers. He also served as editor-in-chief of Emerge magazine in the 1990s.

Read more:

Longtime Arizona State University journalism professor dies

Joe W. Milner, a longtime Arizona State University professor credited with laying the foundation for the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in 1984, has died. School officials say Milner died at his home in Tempe at age 87. Milner taught at ASU from 1967 until his retirement in 1991 when he became a professor emeritus at the Cronkite School.

Read more:

Galveston County Daily News managing editor dies at 46

Scott Williams, managing editor of the Galveston County Daily News, has died at the age of 46. The Daily News ( ) reports Williams died at his Dickinson home of an apparent heart attack. The University of Houston graduate first joined the newspaper as a reporter in 1998 and spent the next 10 years covering police and courts. He left in 2008 to earn a law degree from Texas Southern University, then worked as a prosecutor and private-practice lawyer until late 2015. He returned in January to The Daily News as assistant managing editor, becoming managing editor for news in April.

IN MEMORIAM     AUG. 16, 2016

Providence Journal investigative reporter Malinowski dies

W. Zachary Malinowski, an award-winning investigative reporter for The Providence Journal, has died following a battle with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. The newspaper reported that Malinowski, known as Bill, died at home at age 57. During his 30-year career at the Journal, Malinowski covered a range of stories, from organized crime to public corruption in the administrations of former Rhode Island Gov. Edward DiPrete and former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci.

Read more:

IN MEMORIAM      AUG. 9, 2016

Former Kentucky editor Joel Wilson has died

Joel Wilson, former managing editor of the Daily Times in Glasgow, Kentucky, has died. He was 77. Wilson began his 50-year career at the Daily Times in 1957 right after graduating from Glasgow High School.

Read more:


Associated Press Media Editors

APME is a professional network, a resource for helping editors and broadcasters improve their news coverage and newsroom operations.

Quick Links

Home About News Events