Registration is open for the ASNE-APME-APPM joint conference Sept. 15-17 at the Hyatt Regency in the heart of downtown Chicago! This will be the first joint conference of the nation's top editors.
Our theme: ASNE/APME 2014: Fast Forward
Register now: The registration fee will be $250 for members of ASNE and APME and $350 for nonmembers. There are special rates for retired editors, spouses, students and APME's Regents. Click here to register.
We will begin at 1 p.m. CDT Monday, Sept. 15, and conclude about 3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17.
In between, we will present lively and topical conference sessions that will explore key issues newsroom leaders are tackling; showcase innovations; and provide practical takeaways in such areas as improving content on mobile, increasing audience engagement and reach, and developing partnerships for greater impact.
Some of the programs on tap include:
-- Jim Bankhoff, CEO of Vox Media, discusses the ecology of news startups.
Amy Webb and Tom Rosenstiel will highlight the latest trends involving
news audiences and emerging technology, and discuss the implications of
these trends for journalists.
-- How to succeed at mobile news before it's too late, featuring David Ho of the Wall Street Journal, Jodi Gersch of Gannett and Ian Fisher of the New York Times.
sessions focus on engaging diverse communities, managing news
partnerships, creating a culture of innovation and talking leadership
with Poynter's Jill Geisler and Butch Ward.
- We will celebrate winners of the APME Journalism Excellence awards and ASNE Awards at a special lunch Tuesday. On Wednesday, we will meet again for lunch with a keynote speaker. Tickets to both lunches can be purchased when you register.
- We'll party together Monday night at the opening reception and auction at the historic Tribune Tower, sponsored by the Chicago Tribune. The silent and live auctions will offer sports tickets, vacation retreats, jewelry, autographed books and more.
The Associated Press Photo Managers are continuing to hold their conference with the Associated Press Media Editors and American Society of News Editors in Chicago. They will focus on innovation and digital storytelling with workshops on multimedia storytelling, onsite sports picture editing and social media approaches.
- A joint session is planned on an interactive story form and how multiple layers of words and visuals play a role in digital experience
We'll offer two entertainment events Tuesday night:
- Cruise the Chicago River and enjoy the beautiful skyline at a reception on the Mystic Blue, sponsored by the Illinois Press Association and the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors.
- SOLD OUT! Or take in a baseball game and see the Chicago Cubs play the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field with a group of editors.
We are working on organizing some pre-conference Monday-morning workshops and some post-conference Thursday workshops. Details to come.
Need to purchase additional tickets to the events? You can find those here.
Book your hotel room: A block of rooms are reserved at the Hyatt Regency until Aug. 29 for only $189/night. Make a reservation online, or call the hotel directly at 312-565-1234 and mention the block of rooms reserved for ASNE and APME.
For more details, go to asne.org or apme.com.
Questions? Contact Cindy Roe at Croe@asne.org or Sally Jacobsen at Sjacobsen@ap.org.